Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My Career

Okay, before I get started on the topic at hand, I have to note that my two posts that disappeared have never reappeared, so maybe I will work on those again at some other time.

Now for the topic at hand. My husband is a stay-at-home dad. He has been waiting tables to supplement my short term disability while I was on maternity leave and is still working, just till I get a couple of full paychecks. We had talked about him continuing to work a couple of nights a week, so he could get out of the house and so I could have some quiet, alone time that wasn't just during my commute. It is a great idea in theory, but things have come into play that make this so it won't work.

Last year the hospital introduced a new career ladder for nurses. We had to choose which level we wanted to work towards, we could maintain the level we are at or challenge a higher level. All new graduate nurses are automatically placed in the "novice" category and must challenge the "colleague" level for the next year. All experienced nurses (staff nurses, not management) are hired in at the "colleague" level and can either stay at that level or challenge for the "resource" level. I decided that I wanted to challenge for the resource level.

I am very grateful that I had the foresight to get my requirements done early as I had all my "points" completed and compiled before I was put on bed rest. Of course, for our first year in the program we were only required to obtain half the number of points they want us to get in the future. It was a challenge getting the 12.5 points I needed, but I managed to do so (I actually got 13 or 14), it is going to be more of a challenge getting 25 points this year. I needed the 12.5 to challenge for the resource level, if the career advancement committee denies my promotion for any reason, I need 25 points to challenge next year. If they approve my promotion, I need 25 points to maintain my level next year, so either way, I need 25 points which is a lot of work above and beyond the "basic" requirements of my job.

All that being said, I feel I am up to the challenge. Being the sole wage earner means I need to focus on my career and I need to look for opportunities to further it. I am planning on going back to college to get my Bachelor's degree as it will be a requirement for me to go any further at this hospital. Other hospitals don't necessarily make a BSN a requirement, but it definitely doesn't hurt. I do also want a Masters degree eventually. However, I don't want to become a Nurse Practitioner, which is what I used to want to do. I think I want to pursue my Masters in Health Care Administration as I do think I want to become a manager in the future. I don't need a Masters to be a Nurse Manager, just a Bachelors but I think my eventual goal is to work in the upper levels of hospital administration...............Someday!

So, for the time being, I am going to do all the committee work required of me and look to going back to college. Thomas has given his notice at work, so we can actually see each other. We like each other and we like spending time together, which means something has to give. Since nothing I am doing can be done away with, he is giving up his "job" so he can focus on his career as well, which is being a stay at home dad. We both love our jobs and we are both supportive of each other in our endeavors. I am a lucky lady to have this wonderful life and wonderful husband and wonderful family.

Enough rambling for now. Dinner is ready and these kids are tired, so they need to eat and go to bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds like you have a good career plan. I think that it is great that you aspire to do more. Good for you.

I had no idea you could be an RN without having a Bachelor's Degree. Mmm. Thanks for teaching me something new.

College is a lot of work, but I am sure that you will enjoy it. I loved it. Sometimes I think that I was meant to sit in a classroom writing papers and researching. I loved it. Have fun when you go back...soak it up!

Kimberly said...

There are three different educational paths to choose from in order to become a Registered Nurse.

The first is a Bachelor's Degree. The second is an Associate's Degree. The thrid is a Diploma in Nursing.

Obviously, Bachelor's Degrees are obtained at a college or university and Associate's Degrees are from community colleges. A Diploma is obtained from a hospital based nursing program in a two or three year program. Most of the basic course work is done at an outside college with the nursing courses taught through the hospital's program.

I went the Diploma route because it is the best, most thorough education for nursing. Also, Diploma programs have a much higher pass rate on the Nursing Boards than other programs, with Associate programs next and Bachelor programs last.

And, there is no difference in pay based on degree as long as you are a staff nurse. The increased pay comes from management positions which, may or may not, require a degree. Some hospitals prefer degrees, some prefer experience, some use a mix.

Hope I didn't bore you with the details.