Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Child Abuse

A fellow nurse had mentioned this case to me, but I just saw it for myself in the paper. A mother in Texas was watching the news and said that God told her to chop her baby girls arms off and then chop her own arms, legs, and head off.

A local man, here in the Atlanta metro area, convinced homeless women to let him take in their children (girls) and then proceeded to rape and beat these girls. His own teenage son is accused of raping some of the girls and his daughter is accused of beating them. Of course, the mothers in this situation share some guilt, I can't imagine what it is like to be homeless and not sure when, or if, your kids will eat again, let alone where they will sleep. So, when a well dressed man talks to you about helping you out by taking in your children until you get back on your feet, I guess the offer might seem tempting. This man is getting ready to stand trial, but unfortunately the girls he harmed are going to be the ones to pay a terrible price for the the rest of their lives.

As a nurse in a pediatric hospital, I have had the unfortunate experience of dealing with abuse and neglect. I am grateful that I have not had to deal with this too much, well not abuse anyway. I do see more neglect than I could have imagined, and neglect is a form of abuse.

As a mother of four, I do understand getting frustrated with children. Believe me, I am human, one child can be frustrating at times, let alone two or three or more. However, I could not imagine hurting my children, especially hurting them in the extremes. I don't understand how one could beat,torture, or maime their children. I don't understand how anyone could starve their children, lock them in closets, deny them hugs and kisses, etc.

My children are the most precious human beings in the world. All children are precious and are gifts from God. God entrusts these fragile, innocent beings to our care and I have accepted His gifts, and while I fail to meet His perfection, I do feel I am a good mother. I try my best, and I know sometimes I fall short, but I could never cause harm to my children in any way.

I just don't understand how anyone can hurt a child. I pray for wisdom in caring for the children who have suffered the unimaginable. I also pray for wisdom in dealing with individuals who have caused this harm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a little bit scary to me that you chose to blog about this today. I am working on a post for tomorrow about child sexual abuse. I am not sure that I will actually post it, we will just have to see how it goes.

Anyway, I don't understand it either. I suppose it comes down to 2 of the things that I hate most in life... Power and Evil.

It disgusts me that people think that it is okay somehow. I have come to a place in my own life where I have come to question not only the role of evil, but also the role of mental illness and personal history of the abuser. Not that any of that makes it okay at all...because it doesnt... it just helps to explain it.

Kimberly said...

I would be very interested to read your blog about sexual abuse. I am grateful I have not had to deal with that in a professional capacity as of yet. I know that day will come and I will have to find the strength, but I am sure that I will be given whatever I need.

However, this isn't about me, this about the children who are victims. I am not sure how people move beyond this kind of abuse, but I know that people do and do it well at times. I have nothing but respect for that.

Anonymous said...

I dont mean to simplify, but people move past it becaus the alternative sucks!

A wise therapist once said to me, "Living well is the best revenge." Those are words to live by.

Kimberly said...

Yes, those are words to live by, in many situations.