Thursday, April 20, 2006

Spaghetti Sauce

Well, let me completely change directions and post about spaghetti sauce. My spaghetti sauce to be exact. There are very few things in this world that I boast about because most people who boast are obnoxious. However, my spaghetti sauce is one of those things that I do boast about, and boast loudly.

I make damned good spaghetti sauce. I wish I could say I learned how to make it from my grandmother, but she died when I was 11, so I can't say that. My maternal grandparents were both born in Italy and immigrated to the US when they were young. So, it goes without saying that my grandmother could make some awesome spaghetti sauce. I also didn't learn from my mom, not that she can't make it, but she was a single mom, so spaghetti came out of a box and a jar. Now, my mom can make some homemade spaghetti noodled to die for, but I don't remember her making homemade sauce.

I started making my own sauce a long time ago, and it was okay. Nothing bad, but nothing anyone would write home about either. It has been a work in progress for quite a while. When we lived in California, I hit upon perfection. My sauce was divine. My husband was mad at me because I made better spaghetti sauce than he did, and he had worked as a kitchen manager in an Italian restaurant. Of course, he got over being mad, and now just enjoys my sauce.

It is one of those things where I use the same basic ingredients, but I just pour in without measuring most things. My children LOVE my sauce as well. When I started making my sauce yesterday after breakfast, Olivia was ready for spaghetti NOW! Of course, she had just finished her cereal, but she didn't care. I don't think my kids would know what to do with sauce that came out of a jar, or (shudder) Spaghetti-O's.

Thomas makes an alfredo sauce to die for and I make an awesome red sauce. We have AWESOME pasta parties. Anyone want to come to one?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmm.... i love pasta with red, or white sauce, but I try to stay with red because it is better for me! i'll make a deal with you...figure out the recipe (not just a smidge of this and a dash of that, but a real recipe), and i will trade it for one particular dessert recipe I think someone is looking for! LOL

as far as the invite to the party...ummm...it might be a bit premature...(at least for now) to accpept.

Kimberly said...

Yeah, probably a little early. Not to mention the drive is a little long for dinner.

Let me see what I can figure out for the tomato sauce and I will let you know.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, but either way, I will share the dessert recipe.