Monday, April 17, 2006

Easter and Religion

Where do people get off telling people how they should celebrate Easter? Where do they get off telling people the way their church celebrates Easter is wrong? Who the heck do they think they are? God? I don't think so.

I was born and raised Catholic, Easter and the entire Holy Week is the most important time of the year. I felt the yearnings to go to Mass on Holy Thursday, Good Friday, and to the Easter Vigil Mass on Saturday night. Of course, I never really went to church on Easter Sunday, except on a few occasions, the main reason is the Easter and Christmas Catholics showed up and there was no place to sit.

The Easter Vigil is one of my favorite Masses of the year. The individuals who wish to become Catholic finish their journey this night. They get baptized (only if they have never been baptized as a Christian before) and they get to take Communion for the first time. It is such an overwhelming, beautiful experience.

However, I am a nurse, and I work weekends. I work every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night. This does not change because it is Holy Week. So, I went to work and took care of some beautiful children who could not be home for the holiday. I even got to check on the beautiful child mentioned in my post below. He is doing well enough physically, if not emotionally. The County is looking for a foster home for him, but with his medical issues, they are having a hard time. People don't mind emotional problems it seems, but physical problems seem to be daunting. I would bring him home if I could, he is so beautiful and so fragile.

Now, I have to say, that everyone celebrates Easter in their own way. Some people don't celebrate it at all. We are guaranteed freedom of religion in this country, we get to believe what we want to believe and we get to worship in the way we choose. We get to choose NOT to worship at all if that is what we want. However, some people feel their beliefs are superior to everyone else's beliefs, and if others don't worship in the same way they do, then it is wrong.

No one gets it all right, and none of us are perfect so we don't get to tell others that their beliefs are wrong. All we can do is live our beliefs and allow our lives to be an outward reflection of those beliefs. To nitpick shows that the person is petty and selfish, not a very good outward reflection of Christ. Christians are commanded to love one another and love God, this is how we should base all of our interactions.

Happy Easter everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly, I couldnt agree more. If the resurrection of Jesus Christ is not a reason to celebrate, then I don't know what is. I agree that this could very well be the most important time of year. We dont really know if it was April 16....but who cares when it was? All that mattered is that it happened!

I am glad that abused little boy is better. I hope that they find a home for him soon.

Keep the faith, and God bless.

Kimberly said...

The birth and resurrection of Jesus are major events in Christianity. To me, it seems wrong NOT to celebrate them. We have picked a day and we celebrate them on the given day, it does not matter that it is not the official date, just that we are honoring Jesus.

However, if one chooses not to make a special celebration of those days, that is their choice, and I respect that, though I disagree and don't understand. I just ask for the same respect in return.

Maybe I ask too much?

Anonymous said...

if that is asking too much we are all in a heck of a lot of trouble! God calls for unity... not bickering. some people just cant seem to get that point.

I suppose it is the same thing as always..... people refuse to believe and refuse see what is so clear... it all started in the garden.... we just had to be the smartest...

I dont suppose we will ever learn.