Sunday, April 09, 2006

Child Abuse

Early this morning, towards the end of my shift, I admitted a child with an injury that was reported by his mom as an accident. I am not going to go into details, but no matter how hard I rack my brain, I can't figure out how it could be accidental. I know the story of how mom says it happened, however I can't think of any possible way for this to have happened the way it is reported.

I looked at this beautiful little boy about the same age as one of my children and my heart just broke. Of course, Social Services is involved and the child has been removed from mom's custody until an investigation is complete. Unfortunately this means that this child will be in the hospital all alone, and a young child can't understand why no one is with him, because even if his mom is the one who hurt him, she is still who he is going to want with him as he is very young.

I just don't understand.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are few things that make me as angry as child abuse. I think that hospitals should seek out volunteers who would come in and sit with these kids whose parents have been removed. (A grandmother type would be ideal.) The child has already been hurt enough, he shouldn't have to be alone too.

No offense, but I hope you are wrong. I hope that this poor boy was hurt accidnetally- somehow.

I couldnt do your job. I would wind up in jail, because I would want to hurt anyone who hurt a child.

Sorry that you have to deal with that, but I am thankful that he had a caring nurse to look after him in crisis.

Kimberly said...

Oh, believe me, I am SO thankful that the family wasn't there. I couldn't have done dealt with at all!

Generally we have a sitter service that we can hire a sitter from to sit with the child. We also have volunteers who may be able to help out at times, but they aren't there 24/7.

I wish I was wrong too, but I'm not, which is what is so sad. As I said, there is NO POSSIBLE WAY this could be an accident. I don't know WHO hurt the child, but someone did. I hope it wasn't his mom, I really hope.