Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Tipping Etiquette

As anyone who has read my blog knows, I am out of work on bedrest because I went into early labor on Halloween. The company I work for, which has many good benefits, screws you on short term disability. I qualify and I receive it, but the way they do things makes it so I get less than half my usual take home pay. Because of this, Thomas is working and he is waiting tables at a nice family-style restaurant. Thomas is a SUPERB waiter, he has already been offered a job as a waiter trainer, but of course he refused since he won't work after I return to work.

Now my complaint is about the way folks tip, not all folks mind you, but a large number of people. Part of the expense of eating in a restaurant that employees a wait staff is leaving a tip, if you can't afford to leave a tip, you need to eat at a restaurant that doesn't have waiters/wairesses. Now, that being said, a tip is expected to be 15-20% of your total purchase, which means on a $50 check you need to leave $7.50 - $10.00. If you receive lousy service from a waiter, then I understand not tipping, but you also need to let the manager know of the problem because if you just don't leave a tip then the entire staff just thinks you are cheap. Believe me, everyone knows you didn't tip and they remember this should you come back into the restaurant again. If the waiter is bad, believe me the manager WANTS to know because it makes his restaurant look bad and could cause him to lose customers.

Thomas says the chronic non-tippers seem to be the most demanding of customers at times, the ones who keep him running for this and that, then either don't leave a tip or tell him to "keep the change." This usually means the check is $19.88 and he is given a twenty. I wonder if some people aren't taught about tipping or if they are just stupid, rude, and inconsiderate. A waiter is paid $2.13/hr and tips make up the rest of the salary. Thomas has told me of some really good managers who confront repeat customers who are chronic non-tippers, one previous manager he worked for encouraged a customer not to come back if he couldn't properly tip. One of the managers at Thomas' current job has said he has done the same thing before in the past. The other issue that people don't know is that a waiter is required to "tip out." This means that he has to give a total of 1% of his sales to the busboy, 1% to the bartender, and 1% to the person who helps set the trays up and carry them out to the customers. This is 3% of his sales, not his tips. So if he has a busy night and has $500 in sales, he has to tip out $15. This may not seem like a lot of money, but if you have crappy tippers, you many not have much money to bring home at the end of the night. Or if you think of the person with the $19.88 check out "tipped" 12 cents, then Thomas lost money on that table as the 3% he has to tip out is 59.6 cents. Tipping out is not optional.

I really would like to understand why people feel they don't need to tip. Thomas has averaged a very good salary every time he has had a job waiting tables. If there was a change and tipping was no longer allowed and restaurants had to start paying their waiters the salary they had been making in the past, where do you think the money would come from? From the bottom line? I don't think so. Menu items would increase in price 15-20% or more to make up the difference, and then there would be no statements about how one could not afford to eat out AND leave a tip. If you can't "afford" to leave a tip, you can't "afford" to eat out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. No one can make it on $2.13 an hour and if you can't afford to tip, perhaps McDonalds may be a more reasonable option.

But, how do you feel about "TIP JARS?" I am totally against them.

(I found your blog from a link off of Thomas' blog) If you'd prefer that I didn't visit and/or comment, please let me know.)

ch

Kimberly said...

I can't stand tip jars, I feel pretty strongly that Starbucks doesn't pay $2.13/hr for the girl to make my cappuccino.

Feel free to visit and comment whenever you like.

Anonymous said...

thanks.

Would you believe that I was at Home Depot and they had a tip jar at a register? Maybe I should wear a jar around my neck that says "tip jar" so if I happen to hold a door for someone, pay for my gas FIRST, or allow someone to go before me at a stop sign, they will know that I expect a tip. I am a very strong believer in doing your job because it is your job. Your reward comes every other Friday on payday! (obviously waiting tables is a different story.)

I must admit that I am guilty though of not tipping on occasion. Just qa few weeks ago we were at TGIF for lunch. We were immediately seated. Twenty minutes later the waiter came to get our drink order. We had already been sitting there long enough to know what we wanted, so we went ahead and gave our entire order. The waiter replied, "I just asked for your drink order." We explained that my husband had to go back to work, and we were sort of in a hurry. So, he took the order. It was only about 15 minutes until our meal arrived, which is also when we recieved our drinks. POOR SERVICE! Oh yeah, let's not forget that my dinner salad was brought to the table AFTER I was mostly finished with my meal. Both of our glasses remained empty for the majority of the meal, and we had to flag down the waiter to get the bill. When he finally brought the bill, he started clearing the table and proceeded to drop a bread plate and a dirty knife into my lap. HE DIDN'T EVEN APOLOGIZE. He just said, "You wanna hand me that?" We asked to speak to a manager...who was currently "unavailable." The bill was 23.71, and that is EXACTLY what we left. It was by far the worse service we had ever had ANYWHERE!

Would you have left a tip?

ch

Kimberly said...

Not a chance!!!

I went out by myself the other night, just to get out and ate at Steak & Shake. Not the fanciest joint in town, but it was nice, I got to eat and have my drink refilled for me AND read my book in peace (what a concept!)

Service was a "little" slow, but they were busy. My waiter did keep my drink filled and brought me my food hot, so I did tip good. Of course, the best part of the evening was the "by myself time" that I got to have.

Thomas J. said...

Was it the TGIF in south county or the one in creve couer? I used to work at the one in creve Couer. . .not the best run establishment I have ever worked at. . .nothing more than barely controlled chaos. . .more than what I liked, and I lived with two toddlers and a teenager. Casa will ALWAYS be your best bet as far as service goes, but if you HAVE to have TGIF, south County is your best bet.

The opinion of an "expert",

Thomas J.

Conni H. said...

It was the TGIF at the corner of Litzinger and Brentwood. (near the Galleria) We go to that one because it is the closest to the house. As a matter of fact I am meeting a bunch girls there for dinner tonight (we always leave our families on Wednesdays for dinner and go out)....I digress. Sorry.

I am glad that you had time to yourself...I am sure that it is priceless for you...besides that Steak and Shake has awesome chili, and fries, and shakes... Again, I digress.

As far as CASA goes, my mom and I went there on Saturday (the one in South County) and the food and service were both excellent. We sat in a very familiar booth...I recall being a little tipsy, singing at the top of my lungs, and smashing chips...I digress yet again.

Kimberly said...

I can tell my blog tonight will be about St. Louis and the things I miss. Casa is one of the things on the list, I love the one in South County.

I always blog after the kids go to bed because it is calmer and quieter, and I can think better. The babies better not give grief tonight about going to bed because Possum only had a short nap and Olivia had no nap, and they are both exhausted.

Oh well, I should go and feed my group. Thomas fried chicken before he went to work, so I should check on the sides and feed everyone.