Monday, November 14, 2005

Grammar in the United States

I recently read an article on MSNBC.com that discussed the abyssmal state of grammar in this country. This was an "interesting" read for me as I bemoan this topic myself. The article stated how major companies are having to send their employees to "remedial grammar" classes. I find this horrifying.

Now, I am not perfect in my grammar, but I do try hard especially in my written communications. I find that with the advent of the internet, email, text messaging, Blackberries, etc., we as Americans are becoming very sloppy with our written language, and we should be ashamed. I remember filling out a "profile" about myself online a number of years ago and one of the questions asked about pet peeves. While I did not list bad grammar, I did list the penchant I see for people typing, for example, "are you okay" as "r u ok." I said that I did not communicate like that and I would not communicate with anyone who typed that way either.

I must say that when I get emails, or read people's websites that are full of errors, it is a turn off and I generally delete the email or leave the website. My current pet peeve is the apparent inability of folks to use commas or semi-colons appropriately, instead there is the chronic use of "..." as punctuation. Now, before I go further, I must admit to using the occasional "..." myself, but I have been trying to avoid this more and more as it becomes more and more bothersome to me. I also have to say that one of the biggest "offenders" of this type punctuation is my husband, who holds two Bachelor's degrees and a Master's degree. I know he is no dummy and is perfectly aware, and capable, of writing "correctly." However, he like most people, seems to throw grammar to the wind in online communcations.

I have no way of knowing if there is anyway to change the current trend, but I hope there can be a cure. I get so discouraged when I read things like the MSNBC.com article. I wonder if this problem is worldwide and not just an American problem. I hope not worldwide, yet if it is not, it makes Americans look stupid. I don't ever wish to look stupid as an individual, but I do not want my national identity to look stupid either.

Just some food for thought and some rambling while awaiting this baby's due date.

No comments: