Sunday, June 04, 2006

Busy, Busy, Busy...

I haven't blogged in a while, but we have been busy. My work schedule has been nothing short of crazy. I had to take my Pediatric Advanced Life Support class yesterday and Friday, so I had to rearrange my normal work schedule to accommodate this. My body is in total shock with the complete rearrangement of my normal sleep patterns. I haven't had a decent rest in days, but I will take some Benadryl tonight so I can sleep.

I am at a crossroads with my job right now and I am not sure what I want to do. I love my job in the float pool. I love the flexibility it allows and the versatility that is affords. I LOVE being able to work everywhere, to know people on all the floors, and to not have tunnel vision regarding nursing. However, things are very different right now, and I am not liking it at all. For me, a job my be challenging. Not crazy challenging, like working in the ER, but I like working everywhere and doing a little bit of everything. The way things are now does not allow for that very much.

Oh well, we are having a staff meeting on Tuesday, I plan to talk with my manager afterwards to share some of my frustrations. I have the greatest manager, she is awesome, which is why I have stuck things out thus far, but even the greatest manager isn't enough when I am feeling so stagnant. I either need some sort of change in the way things are in my current position, or I need to seek out another position. I was hoping my promotion would allow for a few more administrative responsibilities, but that hasn't happened...that coupled with the stagnation in my actual nursing responsibilities has made me very unhappy with work.

The other thoughts I have are related to WHERE I would work if I left the float pool. Which floor would I REALLY want to work on full time? There are a couple of place I love very much, and some I despise, and some in the middle. Obviously I wouldn't ever try to work on the floors I despise, and I wouldn't even want to work on those in the middle...but there are about three areas I love and one more I would like to work on that I can't go to in the float pool. However, I would be giving up a lot to go work on one unit and I that would be hard. I fervently hope I don't have to make any changes, but for my sanity's sake, I might.

Oh well, I am not going to stress (too much) over something that might never come to be, but I do want to have some plan laid out in my mind just in case. I will see how my talk goes on Tuesday before I borrow trouble. Just keep me in your prayers that I can appropriately discuss my concerns with my manager and that she is receptive to what I have to say. Pray that I am lead to the right path.

Have a good night.

No comments: