Tuesday, January 17, 2006

What's In A Name?

Just having had a baby, the thought of naming a child is still on my mind. It is an issue I feel strongly about as well. As a pediatric nurse, I come in contact with a significant number of children. Unfortunately, I come in contact with a lot of children with terrible names. I am sure some people who read this might think I mean ethnic names, and I can say that, to an extent, that is true. However, that is not completely true. As for ethnic names, I took care of one poor baby whose name included the letters j, q, v, and z. I could rant for along time about just that name, but I won't. I read an article on msnbc.com this past fall that showed results of a study that linked success with a person's name, and the results weren't good for someone who's name was ethnic.

But, let me move away from ethnicity as that is not the main focus of my blog today. My major issue is the large number of baby boys who are not being given strong male names. When a parent names a baby boy they need to think if it sounds feminine, if it does, please move on to the next name please. Now, my husband has a good friend named Jody. Jody is a guy, unfortunately Jody has a girl's name. Kelly is a girl's name, yet I went to school with a guy named Kelly. There are a couple of male country singers named Tracy, in my experience Tracy is a girl's name. And this was from "my" generation. The situation has gotten worse, not better.

There are some unisex names that are traditionally unisex and, that is not the problem in my mind. Sam can be short for Samantha or Samuel. I have known both a Toni and a Tony. But there seems to be an "asexualiztion" of male names. Why don't we want to give our sons strong men's names? There are a lot of good men's names to be had, such as George, John, Stephen, Samuel, Adam, Thomas, Christopher, James, David, etc. Why do we want to be "cute" and name our sons Brody or Taylor or Jordan, Brayden, Hayden, Carsen, etc? I could go on and on. Yes, many of these names aren't necessarily associated with girls, but they aren't strong men's names either.

My husband's name is Thomas. My ex-husband's name is Timothy. When I think back over the men I dated, I think of another Timothy, a Dean, a Bryan, and other names that are masculine. The closest to a feminine name I can think of is a guy named Jamie that I dated, and his given name was Jamie, not James.

I just think we need to name our boys with boy's names and our girls with girl's names.

13 comments:

Conni H. said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I couldnt agree more. Tracy, Kelly, Jamie, and Jody are all GIRLS' names. At the same time, I have very 2 close friends that have had baby boys, and one named their son Brycen, and then other named their son Mason. While both of these names are sort of "cute" I think they are good, solid, strong boys names. I have another friend who just had a baby boy and named him Wells. Yes, I said Wells. Why didin't they name him "beat me up?" What are people thinking.

I also think that it is interesting how people's opinions of names change. For instance, at one time I wanted to name my daughter Kimberly, but someone said, "I don't like the name Kimberly.... I would alsways think of Kimberly H. when I looked at her...." I also love the name Olivia.... but someone else HATED it! My oh my, how quickly some things change!

But all in all, I agree.... give a kid a name (boy or girl) that helps them to feel good about who they are no matter if they are a doctor, teacher or trashman.

I don't mean any disrespect, but how strong of a name is POSSUM?
(I realize that isnt his birth name!)

Gotta run....

Kimberly said...

Possum's given name is Samuel James, so I do believe he has a good, strong name. He earned himself the nickname at a few weeks old when he wanted to be held upside down and would cry if he was righted.

As for the name Olivia, I had to fight hard for it. I started mentioning it when we got pregnant with Possum. I understand why Thomas didn't want to use it, but I am glad he eventually gave in. Olivia had a different name originally, I have an ultrasound picture with her other name on it. However, when we realized that the horrible nosy neighbor had a cat with the same name, we had to change. It was at that point in time that Thomas agreed to Olivia, and as I said, I am glad he did as it suits her perfectly.

I am not sure of my opinion on the name Brycen, but that may be because I just don't like the name Bryce, although it is definitely a boys' name. I do like the name Mason, I have known men with that name as well. As for Wells, I couldn't help but thinking of Wells Fargo when I read your comment. I do feel bad for that kid, but what can you do?

Now as for my children, I do love all of their names. Drew Alexandar, Samuel James, Olivia Gabrielle, and Sofia Rhiannon are all names I love (obviously, or I wouldn't have named my children those names.) I remember thinking about Drew Barrymore when I decided on Drew's name, but as that was the only "girl" with that name and I knew numerous guys with the name, I decided it was okay. I do get some questioning looks about Sofia's middle name, but I like it very much. We talked about using Rhiannon as a first name at some point in time, but we never did choose it so I am glad we got to use it as a middle name. I get more issues with people who can't spell Sofia's name than anything. Sophia is the Greek spelling, Sofia is the Italian spelling, so we decided to give the nod to my Italian heritage (I am only 2nd generation American on my mom's side.)

I have gone on long enough. I have to get these crazy toddlers to bed soon.

Anonymous said...

I didnt mean to offend about Possum, please forgive me if I did. I just wondered how you thought it fit in the strong or not so strong conversation.

I also agree with DREW being a boys name. Everytime I see Drew Barrymore, I think...Mmmm....she has a BOYS name! Anyway... it is a bit scary to me how much we actually agree on.

Not that it matters what I think, but I love all of the names that you have chosen for your children!

Kimberly said...

No offense taken at all. I don't really think much about Possum being a strong men's name. I think it is a funny nickname that has stuck for some reason. Eventually we will have to move towards calling him Sam, so he will answer to that when he goes to school.

Thanks so much for the compliment, it does mean something.

Thomas J. said...

What are you talking about? "Possum" is a strong, masculine, powerful name. ..

for a MARSUPIAL.

It is funny though, he IS "The Possum", and even though we WILL have to get used to calling him "Sam", it will always be a part of who he is. . .

Now, it was easier to think of someone OTHER than Kimberlie H. when she was not up in my face very day. . .and man, living in Henderson, she WAS up in EVERYBODY'S face. "Olivia" was a hard sell. . .I was afraid I would always think of Tawnya S. , but like Kimberly said, she is SO Olivia. . .VERY Olivia. . .

Now, the all time Rotten Weenie boys name that I have known? Do you remember?:

Dakota Sage

Why not just name your kid "My Mom wishes I was on a Soap Opera" and be done with it.

Coolest more exotic Boy's name?

"Kodiak Hunter"

Kimberly said NO.

Kimberly said...

I wouldn't name anyone Dakota, but I have met a couple little girls with that name, and I guess it works for a girl. As for Sage, I do like that name. I work with a nurse with that name, of course Sage is a female :o)

I wish people would think when they saddle their kids with names.

Anonymous said...

Kodiak Hunter? NO! That is a serious soap opera name! It is terrible. Just terrible.

Kimberly said...

And, thankfully, he is just joking. He NEVER suggested that!

Anonymous said...

Good- I knew that he was a little loopy, but that was scary!

Thomas J. said...

I actually knew a gal, a woman firefighter/fitness instructor (no i am NOT making that up. . .but that is ANOTHER story altogether) who had a little boy named Kodiak Hunter. . .if it had been someone who was NOT a female firefighter/fitness instructor, it probably would have been a lame name.

Hey, I am an atypical, exceptional guy. . .

But I am STILL a guy.

Kimberly said...

I don't care WHO named their kid that name, it is still a lame name. Poor kid probably gets into fights daily. Besides, that woman lived in CARY, the capital of snooty people who think they are too cool!

Anonymous said...

EVERY name is an ethnic name of one sort or another...