Monday, December 12, 2005

Sofia Rhiannon


Sofia Rhiannon came into this world on Monday, December 5, 2005, at 2:11 PM. She weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz. and was 20.5 inches long.

The morning of her birth turned into a frustrating experience. My c-section was scheduled for noon. At 11:45 we found out my doctor was running late and wouldn't be at the hospital till 12:30. Hormonal me broke down into massive tears, but I finally calmed down just in time to find out that there was an emergency c-section and we wouldn't go back until 1:30, which of course caused me to break down once again. My poor OB walked in to find his patient bawling her eyes out. I love my OB though and he is great, he walked around and gave me a big hug and assured me that we would go back soon and everything would be fine. Well we did head back around 1:30 and, after some trial and error to get my epidural to work right, my beautiful baby girl was born.

My baby girl is lying on the couch next to me while I type this and as I look over at her I know she was worth every second of the wait for her. She is the most calm, serene baby I have ever seen. She barely cries at all. She squawks now and then, and at first we said she sounded like an ostrich, but now she has earned the nickname of "Chicken." She really is the most peaceful little baby and she brings a peace that I can't even describe. I don't know if this calmness, this sweetness will permeate her personality throughout her life or not, as it doesn't really matter as I can't wait to get to know her more as she grows.

Children are such a miracle, such a blessing. They are each unique and they each bring something special. It will be fascinating to watch Sofia carve her own place, in both our family and in the world.

The picture above shows her with her big brother Drew and her big sister Olivia. Olivia is enamored with Sofia, she just is blown away by her baby sister. As for Drew, Sofia already has him wrapped around her little finger. He so much loves holding her, more than he liked holding the others from what I can tell. As for Possum, he seems less affected by her presence, but he definitely knows she is here. Both he and Olivia have wanted to hold her and kiss her, I am very glad that her coming home has been best case scenario, which is what I hoped would happen, though we prepared ourselves for the worst case as well.

Well, I think this is all for tonight. I am going to go change Sofia's diaper and put a sleeper on her, then she can nurse till her heart's content and maybe we can get a few hours sleep.

No comments: