Sunday, December 18, 2005

Christmas This Year

Christmas this year has not taken the big role that it normally plays in our family. We didn't buy our tree until yesterday and we didn't decorate the tree, or the house, until today. We normally decorate the house right after Thanksgiving and the tree on my birthday (the 14th.) We love the holidays and we love decorating as a rule. Our decorating this year, though done today, is still limited from the norm. We only decorated inside the house, normally we decorate outside with lights as well.

It is funny in a way, the weekend after I got out of the hospital, I was looking at msnbc.com and saw an article about the holiday shopping season, and was taken aback. Holiday shopping season? What? What is this about the holidays? I had COMPLETELY forgotten about Christmas and shopping and decorating. Never mind I had gone shopping with my mom the DAY BEFORE I went into the hospital to have Sofia.

It is amazing how much Christmas has been de-prioritized this year. Our house is beautiful, it looks really nice, but it pales in comparison to my beautiful new baby girl. I am glad we finally got around to decorating though, as Possum and Olivia are enthralled by the lights, stockings, ornaments, etc.

I finished picking up the few things I needed today for Christmas. I got Drew's stocking stuffers, candy for everyone's stockings, and Sofia's gift. Yes, Sofia's gift, she only gets one gift this year, but I don't think she will mind. Actually, she gets one gift under the tree and one in her stocking, so I guess she technically gets two gifts. I can't say how relieved I am that I had 95% of my shopping done before Thanksgiving and 99% finished before Sofia came along. I finished the other 1% today, so that means no Christmas Eve shopping for me.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you! Enjoy your new little one (as well as the other 3). You have been truly blessed this year, and have much to be merry about!

Kimberly said...

Thanks so much. I have been truly blessed and I know this well. My four wonderful children are amazing, as is my husband. I am married to my best friend and we have created a wonderful family together, what more could I ever ask?