Sunday, December 11, 2005

Salvation Army Bell Ringers

I heard recently that Target stores have banned the Salvation Army bell ringers. Ten years ago, this would have bothered me. Now, however, I will probably frequent Target more often because of this ban.

In the past few years, my experiences with the bell ringers has not been a positive experience for me. The are standing closer and closer to the door and the attitude given if you "don't" drop any money in the pot is not a good thing. I don't know what has happened, but I have felt less and less comfortable going through any door that has a bell ringer. I do not feel this way for other charities who stand by the doors. The Knights of Columbus wander through the parking lot and I have never seen them come up to anyone uninvited.

As for the Salvation Army, I always try to put money in the pots during the Christmas season, however, they are outside EVERY store and if I go to ten different stores, I can't put money in ten different pots. If you don't put money in the pot, the bell ringers treat you like you are a terrible person. I would be more apt to contribute if there were less bell ringers around town as the "pressure" would not be so persistent. Sometimes I see a pot without a bell ringer and I wish there were more of those around as my problem isn't with the pots or the Salvation Army, just the bell ringers.

Oh well, just my opinion.

No comments: