Thursday, December 15, 2005

Harry Potter

Thomas, Possum, Olivia, Sofia, and I went to see Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire today. Possum and I had already gone to see it with Drew on Thanksgiving, but Thomas had not managed to see it yet. So, today we all bundled up and went to the movies. This blog, however, isn't about this movie, or any of the movies really. I am going to write about the books.

The Harry Potter books are the best in modern literature, in my humble opinion. I don't say this because of the massive popularity, as that is not important to me. However, I do think the level of popularity is very indicative of the quality of these novels. The books are well written, have interesting characters, and fascinating plots. The characterization is one of my favorite aspects in the books, no one is two dimensional. The characters are multi-faceted and have many layers. There are so many sides to everyone. For example, Albus Dumbledore, the Headmaster of Hogwarts, is presented as this quirky Headmaster who is a brilliant wizard. As we get further in the series, we learn that Dumbledore is the only one Voldemort ever feared, and then, in The Order of The Phoenix, we got to see why.

J.K. Rowling has created an entire world full of interesting characters. J.K. Rowling has also managed to get kids who won't do anything but play video games to read 800 page novels, for this reason alone I think she has more than earned every penny of her wealth.

I am looking forward to the seventh, and final, installment of the Harry Potter series. I can't wait to find out how it ends, yet I am sad of the prospect of this coming to an end, yet I know everything comes to an end eventually.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Well, I went to see the movie a second time with my husband and I did like it better the second time. I still like the books MUCH better than any of the movies, but books are always better!! My favorite HP movie is still the third.