Monday, March 19, 2007

Severus Snape

I must admit my confusion. I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan, I love the books, I enjoy the movies, and I am impatiently awaiting July 21. However, I must admit that I thought that JK Rowling wrote the Harry Potter books, not the Severus Snape books. I do recall Harry Potter and the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, and soon Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.

The only book title that relates to him at all (so far) is the Half-Blood Prince. Seven books and only one title that mentions Snape. Seven books titles mention Harry Potter, and not in riddle, they straight forward mention him.

Now, there are other characters in the books. Some I love, some I like, some I dislike, some I loathe, and some I am apathetic about. On the love/like side are the Weasley's, Dumbledore, Hermione, the members of the Order, Seamus, Dean, the Creevy bros, etc. On the dislike/loathe side, there are the Malfoy's, Crabbe, Goyle, Voldemort and his Death Eaters, most of the Slytherins, and Dolores Umbridge. The apathetic feelings are with some of the other characters.

Now, granted, JK Rowling has created a wealth of characters and there are many I would enjoy knowing more about, however these books are the Harry Potter books. AND ALL OF THE CHARACTERS ARE CREATED BY HER AND LIVE IN THE WORLD SHE CREATED!!!

I take serious offense at people who claim not to "trust the character of Snape in JKR's hands." I take offense to people who claim they don't want to read the last book because they are worried Snape may die. I seriously take offense at people who gripe about the movies because Snape didn't have a big enough role. I thought the books (and the movies) were about Harry Potter and his world. I thought the other characters were there to move the story ABOUT HARRY POTTER along, both good and bad. I never realized that the whole series was secretly about Severus Snape. I never realized that ANYONE thought that JK Rowling must write her characters and her world and her books in such a way as to not piss off the Severus Snape fans.

My first, and only, foray into the discussion boards on one of the Harry Potter fanfic sites brought about only disgust. Yes, I have my favorite characters. Yes, I can tell you who my favorite character (aside from Harry) is. Yes, I can tell you what it feels like to see that character get murdered. I can tell you what it feels like to have that character murdered by the "adored" Severus Snape. I would rather see Snape dead any day than to have Dumbledore dead, but JK Rowling didn't ask me, nor did I expect her to. I think people need to get over the idea that they own these characters and this world. The characters, and world, belong to JK Rowling and we can play in it with some fanfic, but the canon belongs to her and we must respect that.

I do more than respect it, I adore it and I am furious at the people who would claim not to read the books because Severus Snape may die. Dumbledore died, the only way it could get worse would be to see Harry die, and that is a real possibility and I am prepared to deal with that if that is what JK Rowling throws at us. Her world, her characters, her stories; thank you JK Rowling for all you have created for us. I, for one, am forever grateful.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just my opinion, but it seems to me that there are much bigger things in the world to be "seriously offended about."

Kimberly said...

Yes, there are. Did you read my blog post below this one?

However, not all blog posts must be about world issues or "serious" things.

I have posted a fair share of "serious" posts.