Sunday, November 26, 2006

Our Christmas Tree

I love Christmas. I love Christmas trees. I love live Christmas trees. However, Thomas and I have been talking about getting an artificial tree for a few years, and we finally did so yesterday. The only kind of artificial tree I would accept is a white tree that was not pre-lit. I have no issues with pre-lit trees, however all of the white trees I have seen come with white lights. I CANNOT stand white lights on a Christmas tree, well maybe in Church, but that is the only exception.

Why do I dislike white lights you ask? There is no heart and no life behind them. They are just white, and not really white, they are clear! I like happy multi-colored lights.

I also love our tree! It is a very happy, cheerful tree. We have a variety of ornaments and we bought them because they are pretty, or have some special meaning, or were gifts. We don't have a "theme" tree, I dislke "theme" trees even more than I dislike white lights. Theme trees belong in Macy's or Dillard's or any of a variety of department stores. They do not belong in homes!

Our tree has a first Christmas ornament for Sam, Olivia, and Sofia; Olivia's and Sofia's are personalized. I don't know if I ever got on for Drew or not. We have ornaments Drew made in school. We have our 2000 First Christmas Together ornament. We have the hand painted ornaments that my mom got for us in 2000, Thomas' with a guitar and musical notes and mine with a nurse's hat and stethoscope. I have ornaments that Drew and I bought with the Rugrats on them, we have Disney ornaments, angels, colored balls, Ricky & Lucy Ricardo, Star Wars, Eyeore, , ducks, snow men, and others. We have a Christmas ornament I got as a child, a Cabbage Patch ornament from when Cabbage Patch Kids first came out. I named her Madeline, one of my favorite names. And then there is my Angel on top. I bought her the first year I was a nurse and had my own apartment and own Christmas tree, she has sat atop my tree every year since! I think she is beautiful.

I really think trees should reflect the people who live in the home, and should have a great variety of personalities represented! Well, I definitely hope I haven't offended anyone with my opinions, but I do feel strongly about this topic. Please leave theme trees at the stores where they belong and make your tree a reflection of those living in the home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am not offended, I just disagree. I love my themed Christmas tree which has white lights. My family loves it too. Every year we do a theme. We try to incorporate themes from previous years so we dont have to buy everything new each year. For example, one year we did a Santa tree, and the following year we did a St. Louis Cardinals tree, so we were able to reuse all of the red...

As far as leaving them in Department stores, I like it when people tell me that my tree looks like it belongs at Macy's. I take that as a compliment.

I suppose it is just a personality thing... because I wouldn't dream of having a white Christmas tree... ever.

You should see the tree in my office. It is green and decorated with white lights and all pink ornaments and pink and brown ribbons to match the office. I love it, and people at work think that it is beautiful.

Again, I guess the best advice is: to each her own... its all about what you like! I am glad that your family likes yours, it just wouldnt do for my family, just like mine wouldnt make the cut in yours.