Monday, October 30, 2006

Faith vs. Religion

My husband recently blogged about religion, Protestant Fundamentalism in particular. He only talked about his views, and it was regarding just one specific idea. I must say, as a preface, that neither Thomas nor I are overly religious. I do hold some of my Catholic upbringing close to my heart, but I don't buy into anything 100%.

Then, of course, the blogger people started coming out of the woodwork to comment, as I knew would happen. There were a lot of good comments, and challenging arguments, which I don't mind because it makes me think. However, there was one anonymous poster who infuriated me. I can only refer to this person as an idiot. I don't mind differing beliefs or ideas, in fact, I welcome them. However, the fact that people are very stuck in their own little boxes makes me angry.

The anonymous poster in question stated "you keep blogging about religion. Maybe you should blog about faith." I copied and pasted that from his blog, so there could be no mistake in retyping.

How dare anyone judge my husband's, or anyone's, faith based on a blog about religion! Religion and faith are not one and the same. There can be faith without religion, and there can definitely be religion without faith. I see so many people going through the motions of their religion without any real faith all the time. I also see many people with tons of faith who practice no religion at all. Now to be fair, there are a lot of faithful, religious people in this world. I, myself, know many.

What a small, boxed in world that person must live in to make that comment which sounds so accusing and judgmental. What little faith this person shows, when they make such a giant leap. They definitely seem to be of the mind set that religion = faith and faith = religion.

I think I will have to say prayers for this person as I don't think they are actually very faithful at all. I probably shouldn't refer to them as an idiot, as sad and stuck seem more appropriate.

If I have offended anyone, I am sorry, but I am really angry and I needed to vent.

No comments: