Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Music

Music is a big deal in my house with Thomas being a musician. We both have eclectic music tastes. While we don't agree 100% we do agree on a lot. We both like rock music and country music and classical music, etc. However, our least favorite music right now is pop country. I think if we were exposed to a lot of pop rock it might be high up on our dislike list as well, but we don't listen to any radio stations that play pop rock.

We do listen to a station that plays pop country though. I am a big country music fan, but I like classic country or music that is really country music. Unfortunately, country radio doesn't play much in the way of real country music anymore. A few years back, Vince Gill recorded an awesome country album called "High Lonesome Sound." This was IGNORED by country radio though Vince was a very popular singer at the time. I listen to a station locally that is big in classic country, I get to hear the greats all the time. I hear Conway, Patsy, Dolly, Kenny, The Oakridge Boys, Hank, George Jones, etc on a regular basis. However, any new song that sounds TOO country still seems to be avoided, which is sad in my opinion.

It is sad that some of the BEST country songs in recent memory were written and recorded by rock singers. Sheryl Crow and Kid Rock recorded "Picture," Sting had "I'm So Happy I Can't Stop Crying," and Bon Jovi just released "Who Says You Can't Go Home." Toby Keith did a cover of Sting's song and I think Sting recorded it with him and Bon Jovi's song is released on country radio with Jennifer Nettles from Sugarland (whom I dislike immensely!) I am not sure why rock musicians are coming up with some of the best country songs recorded (and played on country radio) in along time.

I don't have a problem with pop music in general, actually it really does have a place. However, I feel if you want to record pop music, record pop music and have it played on pop music stations. I get very frustrated when I want to listen to country music and turn on the radio and I hear pretty much what Brittney Spears is doing, but with a fiddle and a steal guitar added. This wouldn't be such an issue if it occurred once in a while, but this is all that I hear anymore.

I like music with heart and soul, and this is what is missing in most any type pop music. Give me some Melissa Etheridge, Dave Matthews, Patsy Cline, and Loretta Lynn any day!

No comments: