Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Vermont

Well, we made it to Vermont safe and sound. I love it here. I love the snow, the area, everything. After spending most of my life in the south, I am very surprised to find people here more friendly and gracious and hospitable than any I have met anywhere. Mountain View, CA, is a VERY close second though. I don't know if it is that we live in a small town, or if the people are just that much nicer, but I definitely appreciate it, especially after the minor catastrophe yesterday that could have been a MAJOR catastrophe, and would have been back at Sam's old school. Drew has found the high school to be a great change from South Cobb in Austell. He also says there are a lot of cute girls (well, he is almost sixteen, so this would be a priority.) Sam is getting settled into his kindergarten class and adjusting well to the half-day routine as opposed to the all day kindergarten he has been used to. One OUTSTANDING thing is that Pre-K is in the public schools in our district AND they had room for a new student. Olivia had her first day of school yesterday and loves it! Pre-K is Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for a half day. She is in afternoon Pre-K and Sam is in afternoon kindergarten, so it works out great.



Snow has been the name of the game since we got here though. Last Wednesday schools were delayed by two hours. This Wednesday (today) schools are canceled completely. Every school district in the area, both on the Vermont side and the New Hampshire side are closed. We have had a huge amount of snow overnight and it is still snowing pretty heavily. There is some expectation of ice accumulation as well today, so I am glad we have nowhere to go at all. I am SO glad that I was able to take care of my errand to the capitol of New Hampshire was able to be completed yesterday afternoon. My only frustration is how long it is taking to obtain my NH nursing license. I hope that my errand to Concord yesterday corrects everything and I am licensed in relatively short order.


We live in beautiful condos. This is a resort area and many of the homes are second homes. Our condo is 2300 sq. ft. so it is very nice sized. There are three buildings adjacent to our parking lot and each building has four condos in it, all with separate outside entrances. The picture to the left gives an idea of the outside. None of the other 11 units around us are occupied full time. Most folks come up on weekends for skiing (or golfing in the summer.) It is interesting (strange) to be the only full time residents. Of course, some of the other condos/homes in other sections are full time homes, but it is very strange having no immediate neighbors. On the weekend the parking lot is full of CT and MA cars (in addition to our Georgia cars, of course.) The downtown area is about two blocks in length and the post office appears to be the hopping spot. Of course, that could be because there is no mail delivery and everyone has to go to the post office to pick up their mail from their p.o. box. That is a very strange phenomenon to me.

All in all, I am very glad to be here. I think we are all going to be very happy here. The kids love it and so do Thomas and I. I am a little antsy to get back to work, but that will come next week. I am certainly not rushing my "vacation." Sofia is going to have the hardest time with me going back to work. She has gotten rather used to having Mama around and she is definitely my girl these days. She runs to me for everything!

Oh well, I have rambled a lot now, I should probably be doing something else. I hope everyone is well!

3 comments:

Vicki G. said...

It looks like a beautiful place to live! I hope your first week at your new job goes very well.

Goodnight, Mom said...

Wow, I have not been on your blog in forever! I had no idea you moved! Why did you move? Do you still like it there?

Kimberly said...

Hi Kristi,

We moved because I got a job in New Hampshire at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. Well, and the fact that Thomas and I have wanted to be in New England since we got married. So the job definitely helped.

I got offered a job on my birthday in December and accepted. We left Georgia at the end of January and got here on Feb 2. The trip was an adventure, but we stopped halfway in Va. Beach to see my family.

I LOVE VERMONT! That phrase is said about a dozen times a day in our home by one person or another. The schools are phenomenal and Drew seems to be adjusting very well to his high school. Sam and Olivia love the K/PreK programs as well.

Spring finally seems to be arriving to Vermont. It should be 60 and sunny today. Of course it snowed last week, and the week before that, and the week before that! However, the forecast is not calling for any snow in the next 10 days (for now anyway.)

I do love it here still, and I love the people around me. It is a very different vibe to life, but it fits us very well. We all feel as though we fit in well. I like my job also. It has its issues, just like any job, but that was to be expected anyway.

All in all, we love it. We are very excited for spring and can't wait to see the green mountains instead of the snowy mountains.